Monday, September 29, 2008

Runner? Am I one?

I am running...the sun is blazing but I dont care....I am wearing my shorts and my sports bra...my six pack rippling as my legs move fast...my hands in correct coordination with my legs...my legs lean, muscular and sexy...
I wake up with a smile...
Now I am fully awake, remembering my dream. Wow! I looked great! I looked lean and and like a runner. And then I look at myself in my PJs. Well, better not continue with that saga...I would love to look like how I looked in my dream. I mean who wouldnt...
This is one of my fave topics. People look at me all the time and gasp in surprise-you run? Hmmm...then I am sure they gossip behind my back...she doesnt look like a runner. Arent runners supposed to be lean and fit?
I have been asked this question number of times. By many people. But last week, one of my colleagues asked me--- I see these Kenyans run. They look so different from you" He was playing it very safe by not saying they look thin. And then I thought' WOW. If someone as educated as he is can ask a question like that, then why should I even mind other people saying things like that. I am atleast 10 years older than that Kenyan he saw on TV, I have been running for only 4 years, while those Kenyans are training from the time they are 12. Finally, I work. Go home to my son. Sometimes, end up eating an Oreo cookie and just enjoy life. But the Kenyan (that he saw, most probably in the Olympics) runs all the time, trains and measures the food he eats. Probaly never eaten even a crumb of cookie let alone a full Oreo. To compare me with a Kenyan marathoner is downright stupid.
I know so many people who run now and am happy to belong to this special category of people. None of them look like the way a Kenyan marathoner does. They look like happy healthy individuals who can run 10k, 50K, 100K and even 200Ks. They train. Eat regular food. Gorge on beer and chips. Love their desserts. Some are thin, some are not so thin. But guess what? They are healthy and happy. I want to ask all these fools (yes, I am pretty passionate about this) if they can keep up with me for even 5kms. Forget 42...
So, please guys. Respect your level of intelligence. Dont talk like you have no brains. Yes, a runner is faster if he/she is lighter but a person who is not thin can also be a runner...

2 comments:

Ravi said...

Oh ...
I think we as runner face this issue all the time. You have put this accross so well ...
Keep miling .. and eating cooking too ;-)
~ Ravi

Anita said...

well said :-) i get this all time! nowadays i just ignore the fools who come up with such statements! (and they're usually those who haven't run a km in their lives!).