Sunday, July 6, 2008

First ever Hampi Heritage Run















Sam and Sabine have relatives in Hampi area. They visit it often and on one of their visits decided that it would be fun if we could have a “Cultural Run” there. A few of us thought that was a great idea and Sabine started working on it. And Sabine as only Sabine can do had it all mapped out. Tickets were booked, hotel rooms were reserved and all other planning matters were underway.

Sudarshan’s uncles and his grand dad live in Hospet. We have been meaning to visit them for a while and saw this as an opportunity to do some great running as well as meet family. We were really excited. I was down with a cold on Thursday and Sudarshna was slightly pissed that I hadn’t taken any medicine. After exchanging a few words, to put it mildly, we decided to cancel. Well, egos clashed as they always clash in our house and finally I swallowed a Sinarest and dozed off. Next day I called in sick. Look, if nothing else I try to keep my priorities in order. Should I go to work or rest at home so that I can be fit as a fiddle and be in Hampi over the weekend? It was a no brainer. I called in sick.

Come Friday night, we were all packed. Sujay was of course coming with us. He was all excited. We picked up Leona and got ourselves to the train station. Reena was there as were Sindhu, Athraya, Anjana, Anjana’s mom and Avni (Anjana’s eighteen month old). Amit and his wife were meeting us in Yeshwantpur. Manoj was coming on his silver bullet and Shantanu and Prateek were driving. Sam and Sabine were already in Hampi.
The train ride was a blast. I always liked Reena but I dare say that I think we really forged a friendship that evening. Athraya, Reena and myself were awake till after midnight just laughing and joking about things. I saw a very different side of Athraya that evening as well. Finally we went to sleep because we were so afraid that thia guy who was sleeping on the top berth might yell at us.

Next morning we arrived in Hami at about 7:30. Sam and Sabine were there with two seven seater autos. Sudarshan’s cousin wa there too to pick us up. All went to the hotel in the autos which looked like a lot of fun actually and we went off to Sudarshan’s uncle’s house…

That evening we met at the Power Canal for a power canal run. That was super cool. I didn’t really run it as I was tired (read lazy) and happily walked the entire loop with Reena. That was nice actually. One thing that I will treasure is that that I think this was a nice beginning to a nice friendship with Reena. She is cool. I was a little apprehensive about Suj. But Sam’s cousin had a bike and that of course was the most super cool thing that could have happened. Suj loved it. He was on the bike the whole time. He was honking and being totally noisy and loving it.

The next morning was our first ever Hampi Cultural Run. It was great. Just looking at all the temples, running by them etc. No better way to see Hampi. And again, thanks to Sam’s cousins, Suj was fully occupied on the bikes and Sudarshan and I could have a great run/walk/sight seeing.
All in all, it was a great experience where old friendships were strengthened and new ones were created. It was a great experience and I would love to do it again.

1 comment:

temporary insanity said...

cool...looks like u guys had fun!!!